Both Ukrainian and Russian forces are claiming hits on Vuhladar in the Donetsk region, as intense fighting for control of the strategic town in eastern Ukraine continued on Monday.
The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine said on Monday that Ukrainian units defending the contact line near Vuhledar “welcomed” the recent occupiers and inflicted heavy losses, making their temporary stay on our land a living hell. Changed to
CNN has not been able to independently verify those claims.
The Russian Defense Ministry said on Monday that the Russian military had made progress in the area.
Units of the Group of Forces “East”, continuing their successful offensive, occupied more advantageous positions and opened fire on units of the 1st Tank Brigade of the Armed Forces of Ukraine near the settlement of Vuhladar in the Donetsk People’s Republic. Ministry.
Earlier on Monday, the leader of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) told Russian state media that Russian forces had established a presence in the eastern part of Vuhladar.
In his nightly address on Sunday, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said the situation in the region was “very difficult” as “Bakhmut, Vuhledar and other areas of the Donetsk region are under continuous Russian attacks.”
Zelensky said, “Constant attempts are being made to break into our defenses. The enemy does not count its men and maintains a high intensity of attacks despite many casualties.”
According to DPR separatist officials, Vuhledar is a major logistics center and its seizure would help cut off supplies to the Ukrainian military and allow Russian and separatist forces to launch attacks on Ukrainian forces in multiple directions.